Motorcycle Therapy Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Super Moderator
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen this type of conversation on many other forums and think it is right for us here. The idea is simply to post things you see or hear about that are positive in nature. There is far too much of the other type. So, let's make the world better by sharing goodness. I will start:

On the morning of 8 Dec this year, while riding out of my neighborhood to work, I had to stop behind a school bus picking up kids. Between me and the bus was a Virginia State Trooper. The bus's red flashing lights went out and it started moving. About five houses away to the side, I saw a young kid running as hard as he could. He is around 11-12, I guess. He was frantically waving for the bus to stop but it pulled away. The boy slowed to a walk when he realized the bus was leaving without him. The Trooper rolled down his window and yelled out to the boy. The boy then ran to the Trooper's car and got in. The Trooper then took off and delivered the boy to the next bus stop about three blocks away where the bus was just stopping. The boy got out of the police car and got onto his bus.

I do not know this Trooper personally, but I do see him going to work about the same time as myself. He is also rides a motor somedays. I don't know the boy either but see him oftentimes with other kids around the neighborhood. Seeing this made me feel elated in my rough area of town. Thinking of that moment still makes me smile.

Now your turn to help make us smile.

· Super Moderator
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mentioned in another thread that I have a grandson biker now. Pretty Pillion and I drove down to Jacksonville for my granddaughter's third birthday back in Nov of 2021. My then 11-year-old grandson Aidan asked me if I wanted to see his motorcycle. Well of course I did! Here's how he got it.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Plant

Earlier in the 2020 school year, he said that both granddads rode motorcycles, and he wanted one too. His dad said ok, but there are conditions that must be met first.
1. Aidan had to get his grades up to As. This was March of 2020, he had the rest of the school year to get there.
2. Dad saw a minibike at Walmart for $400. Aidan had to earn $200 of that.
3. Aidan had to do his chores without being told to all in a 3-month period.

Aidan mowed grass and gave his dad $200 two weeks later. He brought his grades up and never once had to be told to get his chores done.

Towards the end of the school year, not mentioning the deal once, Aidan brought his dad his report card showing all As. Dad looked at it and said "Nice". Aidan just stood there a moment when dad told him he had a new chore for him out in the garage. There was a bunch of trash that needed to be taken care of. Aidan dutifully turned and opened the kitchen door to the garage and found his assembled minibike all gassed up and ready to roll.

Aidan rides the wheels off that thing. By the time I saw it, he had crashed enough that dad took the front fender off and the down tubes cannot be fully straightened anymore.

As he rolled it out in the yard, he began telling me all about it. He pointed out the carburetor and told me how it mixes gas and air and pushes it into the piston chamber. He said that the spark plug causes an explosion making the piston go down and turns a shaft that is connected to the chain. She showed me the rear brake and how he and dad changed the pads already.

He then asked if I wanted to hear it run. He went on to tell me how it starts on the first pull. He yanked with all his might, and it didn't start. He said sometimes it takes two tries...

He yanked again and nothing. The look on his face was priceless. I could see his mind working, troubleshooting the cause. He smiled, then pointed out the kill switch and how it needs to be set to run. He said it will start now. He yanked and nothing. He was shocked and started to panic. He moved all around the bike checking many things then he stopped, shoulders drooped and began explaining to me how a petcock worked and that he had forgot to turn it to run. My goodness, he is a real biker!

This time, it started, and he hopped on and tore off.

I see several positive points in this story. First, an 11-year-old boy set goals and saw them through to obtain what he wanted. Who knew something like that still existed in this world?

Next, I see a dad with many kids (They have four boys and a girl) teaching them important life lessons; and following through on his own word.

Finally, I watched a young man who has fallen in love with two-wheels. Such a proud moment for me!

He is now working towards getting a dirt bike...

· Admin of the North
1989 GSXR 1100
423 Posts
This was on this past weekend and about 20 miles from me. Fort Erie is on the shore of Lake Erie at the mouth of the Niagara River and they got the full brunt of lake effect snow from the blizzard. It is still under a state of emergency and they are expecting another foot of snow today.

First off, the look on the guys face on the left...outstanding. Second, they all put on matchng pyjamas to open presents! Ahahaha. I suppose when you are celebrating Christmas IN Walmart, last minute shopping is a breeze.

· Super Moderator
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is exactly the kind of story the world needs more of. Thanks for sharing Tinsnips!

On a side note, my two oldest kids in Buffalo tell me of the vehicle ban on the roads for the last few days. My son sent pictures of the blizzard they got, and man does that look amazingly rough.

· Admin of the North
1989 GSXR 1100
423 Posts
Buffalo did get hammered. Both Buffalo and Fort Erie aren't out of it yet.

I work at a hotel. We happened to have a group arrive here from Nigeria the day before the storm. Apparently they lost their minds in the parking lot seeing snow for the first time.

· Registered
2005 Yamaha Venture Hannigan trike
52 Posts
A little positivity in action or good friends are hard to find. This goes back to maybe 2008 when I first started talking to Ken, an ET from work who was riding a Harley while I had my 99 Venture. Turns out that a neighbor of his who had bought a brand new 2003 Venture was involved in a serious accident a few weeks later and became a paraplegic. The bike sat mangled in his garage for years until Ken expressed an interest in it. Knowing that I had a venture, he started asking me about it, with the possibility of me coming to look at the damaged bike. I rode over one day and looked it over. The bike fired up and ran well. No leaks or damage to the frame. Some parts were out of whack though. Needed bags, bars, fairing, trunk, various mounts etc but overall it wasn’t a total loss. We took measurements off my bike to cross reference it with his potential purchase. A support frame was off by a few inches but we were able to get it back inline. Ken decided to buy it and managed to get it over to his house and rebuild it in earnest. What transpired was a truly beautiful Venture with an awesome mural laden paint job and a blossoming friendship. We rode together as much as possible but some health issues curtailed much of my riding over the years. Fast forward to last year when I was still on my Harley Heritage and was still having leg issues. In April 2022 I found an 05 Venture trike for sale at an extremely good price along with a piggy backer trailer, located in South Carolina. After a conversation with the owner it turned out that he bought it two years earlier but only managed to put 300 miles on it as he suffered a mild stroke and also needed shoulder surgery. I made arrangements to go up and see the bike and he agreed to hold it for me. Rented a trailer and along with Ken we made the trip up. It was pretty grungy and when I took it for a ride, it shook pretty bad. I was about to turn it down when Ken, who never expressed an interest in a trike, said that if I don’t want it to lend him the money and he will pay me back the next day. Hmmmm. I looked much closer at the trike and saw that the air pressure in the tires were all very low. The guy had a compressor and I added air. Trike rode much better and I went ahead with the purchase. It ended up being an 18 hour day for us. Ken now was interested in a Venture trike as his holding up a two wheeler was getting worse. There was one available in town but it was a total mess so he passed. In July I found one down in South Florida and after some negotiations we got the price down to where Ken was good with it. Another road trip! We rented a trailer again and headed south and came back with my twin. Another 05 silver. Well, let’s just say that Kens not a conventional guy and he, along with some assistance from me started to swap parts and tins over from his customized 03 and vice versa. In the meantime my carbs went bad and I ended up getting ripped of on a rebuilt set from someone from the Venture community and was out 500 bucks. Long story there for another time. Ken offered the carbs from his newly acquired trike as the carbs on his 03, which were rebuilt went on the 05. Ken wouldn’t take money for them and I ended up rebuilding them for under a hundred bucks. My trike is running great now and his is nearing completion. The body was removed from Kens trike and sent off for some fiberglass repair and a matching mural. In the meantime he fabricated some fenders and it became the rat trike. Base paint was laid on the body and is awaiting the murals. The best part is the friendship that developed from all of this.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Plant Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Sky

Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Fuel tank
Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Cloud
Cloud Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Sky
Car Sky Land vehicle Cloud Vehicle
Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Fuel tank

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle

Car Sky Land vehicle Cloud Vehicle

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

Cloud Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle

Smile Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tree Sky

· Registered
32 Posts
Early this spring I heard the unmistakable sound of a Harley-Davison coming from the house behind me. It sounded kind of rough. The neighbor's older son just finished his first year in college where he's learning auto mechanics, so I figured he picked it up to have something to work on.

The next day I walked out back and was surprised to see the father and his younger son in the garage with two beautiful mid 2000's Harleys, a 1200 Sportster and a Road King.
It turns out that owning a Sportster was his 17 year old son's dream for years. I mean, the parents had set a series of goals for him to meet over several years before they would allow him to get one. Keep high grades in school, attain a perfect driving record his first year, etc. He met every challenge and his parents had to reluctantly allow him to get a Sportster. The father used to ride so he decided to get himself a bike too, so he could ride along as his son got acquainted to two wheels (best excuse EVER).

Anyway, that's the introduction, now for the story. Over the next couple weeks, young Ethan attempted to make friends with the Harley, riding it up and down their long driveway, next to my house. He struggled with it, but the bike was struggling more, obviously having carburetor issues. I couldn't bear to watch him continue to struggle with that uncooperative beast, so I offered to clean and rebuild the carburetor for him.

The next weekend, carburetor kit in hand, I told him to bring it on over. I was surprised to see that he was genuinely interested in the process and wanted to hang around to watch. Let me tell you, that kid was literally over my shoulder the whole time as I explained to him how the carburetor worked, what I was doing to it and why.
Having someone hover over me like that is something I normally would have quashed in a second, but I recognized that he's SUCH a good kid, and was so exuberant and appreciative that I didn't mind it one bit.
Now, I've watched these two kids grow up from a distance for fifteen years, but never knew them. That day I got to know that young man for the first time.

Later that week something came for me in the mail. It was a Thank You note from Ethan, expressing his appreciation for me fixing his motorcycle and spending time teaching him. Even though he was ecstatic about the whole thing, I still believe I was the one who benefitted the most. Not only did I get the chance to forge a friendship with an exceptional young man, but now I have two new riding buddies right next door.

· Admin of the North
1989 GSXR 1100
423 Posts
Early this spring I heard the unmistakable sound of a Harley-Davison coming from the house behind me. It sounded kind of rough. The neighbor's older son just finished his first year in college where he's learning auto mechanics, so I figured he picked it up to have something to work on.

The next day I walked out back and was surprised to see the father and his younger son in the garage with two beautiful mid 2000's Harleys, a 1200 Sportster and a Road King.
It turns out that owning a Sportster was his 17 year old son's dream for years. I mean, the parents had set a series of goals for him to meet over several years before they would allow him to get one. Keep high grades in school, attain a perfect driving record his first year, etc. He met every challenge and his parents had to reluctantly allow him to get a Sportster. The father used to ride so he decided to get himself a bike too, so he could ride along as his son got acquainted to two wheels (best excuse EVER).

Anyway, that's the introduction, now for the story. Over the next couple weeks, young Ethan attempted to make friends with the Harley, riding it up and down their long driveway, next to my house. He struggled with it, but the bike was struggling more, obviously having carburetor issues. I couldn't bear to watch him continue to struggle with that uncooperative beast, so I offered to clean and rebuild the carburetor for him.

The next weekend, carburetor kit in hand, I told him to bring it on over. I was surprised to see that he was genuinely interested in the process and wanted to hang around to watch. Let me tell you, that kid was literally over my shoulder the whole time as I explained to him how the carburetor worked, what I was doing to it and why.
Having someone hover over me like that is something I normally would have quashed in a second, but I recognized that he's SUCH a good kid, and was so exuberant and appreciative that I didn't mind it one bit.
Now, I've watched these two kids grow up from a distance for fifteen years, but never knew them. That day I got to know that young man for the first time.

Later that week something came for me in the mail. It was a Thank You note from Ethan, expressing his appreciation for me fixing his motorcycle and spending time teaching him. Even though he was ecstatic about the whole thing, I still believe I was the one who benefitted the most. Not only did I get the chance to forge a friendship with an exceptional young man, but now I have two new riding buddies right next door.
Well done Sir. The best thing you can do for our sport is to pass it on to the next generation.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts