Motorcycle Therapy Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

· Administrator - "Loose Nut"
From Bandera, Texas - 2019 HD Freewheeler - 2006 Vulcan 900
539 Posts
@bpe, being the maintenance "KING" is there a correct way to test tire balance and trueness? I'm thinking there may be a better way than mine. My way actually works pretty well. Starting to see where my "Loose Nut" nickname comes from?

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
^ I don't know how you're doing it but judging by the video you must be doing something right (y).

Me if I'm balancing the front wheel. I just put it loose on the bike with the caliper and speedometer gear removed. Then spin the wheel to check for a heavy spot.

539 Posts
^ I don't know how you're doing it but judging by the video you must be doing something right (y).

Me if I'm balancing the front wheel. I just put it loose on the bike with the caliper and speedometer gear removed. Then spin the wheel to check for a heavy spot.
I do similar, but video was my test of accuracy. Was looking at some of my old videos and that one made me realize how nuts I really am.

· Registered
'18 SVTC
140 Posts
Can't speak to testing for trueness, but I just dump 2 ounces of balance beads in the tire (through the stem with the core removed) and she runs smooth as silk. I expect it might even try to compensate for trueness issues if there are any.

As fouled up as the roads are what with dead critters, pot holes, excessive crown, rain grooves,gravel, flotsam, litter and just general poor maintenance I don't/can't go hands free for long until some outside force shuts that nonsense down.....:);)o_O

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
You guys with the cruise controls are lucky when going hands free to do a Wobble Check. I can only do it at about 40 MPH. Any faster than that and I can't hold my body from getting thrown forward. Even at 40 MPH the bike slows down rather fast.

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
As far as rim runout, I think eyeballing it is usually accurate enough. Can even take a random tool/object to hold close to the rim (brace it on the fork so it doesn't move) to get a more accurate eyeballing.

I think more often than not the bigger issue would be the tire not properly seated. i.e. the seat line on the tire not being equal around the rim.

· Admin of the North
1989 GSXR 1100
433 Posts
As far as rim runout, I think eyeballing it is usually accurate enough. Can even take a random tool/object to hold close to the rim (brace it on the fork so it doesn't move) to get a more accurate eyeballing.

I think more often than not the bigger issue would be the tire not properly seated. i.e. the seat line on the tire not being equal around the rim.
Rim truness is usually taping a piece of cardboard to the fork and rotating the tire to see if the gap changes. It isn't usually an issue like the old spoke wheels were. Other side of the coin is you can't fix them easy like when we had the old spoke rims...

539 Posts
Rant time. Found a disadvantage of living in the sticks, finding automotive maintenance supplies. Need to change oil on bike and wife's 2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz. Yesterday made a grocery run into closest "big" town, Bourne. So went by AutoZone which I resenty retired from. They didn't have oil filter for bike or truck so left. This morning I get up this morning and run into Bandera to NAPA, had car filter but not bike filter, didn't have synthetic 0w-20 for truck, but did have bike oil. Then went to CarQuest. They had bike filter and truck oil. Just got done changing truck oil, I'll do bike later. Guess I got spoiled to Houston and being able to get what I needed when wanted it. Lesson learned, plan ahead.

· Admin of the North
1989 GSXR 1100
433 Posts
Availability is an issue everywhere it seems with supply chain disruptions. I would imagine being out in the sitcks only agravates that.

I am guessing I didn't put enough stablizer in the bike this year. I went out to start it a couple days ago & she didn't fire. I checked the plugs & they were fouled so in when clean ones and still no go. I was planning on pulling the carbs in the spring and doing a rebuild & sync. Looks like I planned right...

· Registered
Kawasaki Vulcan 500LTD
36 Posts
^ Book calls for 7,500 miles. I just do it every winter to get it out of the way (less than 7,500 miles).
That’s interesting because my EN is 6,000 mile interval. But then there’s a long list of things to do at 6,000 miles including oil changes.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts